We were very fortunate in May of 2001 that Sue McNeese Bartz visited the Old Stagecoach Stop. She gave us the most complete account of living at the Old Stagecoach Stop that we have heard. It is an important period in the building's history, World War II, and we knew very little. Included on these pages are a few of the remarks. This oral history has added much to our knowledge of the building.
The occasion was a meeting with a cousin (left) from Missouri, whom Sue had not met. It was arranged by the cousin's daughter (right), who lives in Texas. The OSS was pleased to arrange this meeting during the week. It was gratifying to all.
Sue's parents, Albert Spencer and Louise McNeese owned the OSS from 1941 until 1946. They began in business with a restaurant on the Meramec River near Valley Park in St. Louis County. Subsequently, they opened a resort in Sherman, which was near Ballwin, Missouri. In 1941, A. S. and Louise bought the Old Stagecoach Stop from Dr. James Titterington.