This is a rare view on Commercial Street (now Historic Route 66) from west to east. It must be after 1906 because of the cars in the picture, plus the concrete block building mid-right was completed at the close of that year. On enlarging the picture but not visible in this representation, the block building, belonging to J. M. Long, has a sign proclaiming "Waynesville Post Office." The second story of Long's store was the "opera house", a space for entertainments for the community. Commerical Street would have been designated State Highway 14 and is possible surfaced with macadam, although gravel is more likely. Barely visible at the end of the street as it curves up Waynesville hill is a fence on the left side of the roadway. There cetainly must have been one on the right side, too, as that was a steep hillside.