Originally destined for construction in southcentral Iowa, the Army’s Seventh Corps training camp was relocated to the Ozarks in Pulaski County, Missouri. The sprawling 68,000 acre camp subsumed part of the Gasconade National Forest and the private land holdings of over 500 citizens. Construction reached its peak in April of 1941 with more than 32,000 workers employed. The construction of the camp, christened Fort Leonard Wood, significantly altered the natural and cultural landscapes.
This pictorial history provides nearly 250 images that depict the construction, training, and leisure activities of the soldiers during the period 1941-1946. The book concludes with a chapter showing views of Fort Leonard Wood today.
Available at Lone Oak Printing • Eclectic Originals • Old Stagecoach Stop • Pulaski County Tourism Bureau • Route 66 Community Art Gallery and by mail ($24.00) from Terry Primas, 10925 Western Road, Duke, MO. 65461.